Wow, it has been … 5 months since I said I would write that article? Well … here it is! A link to it anyway: http://www.jimhi.com/content/articles/ .
Probably wise to add a link back too !
Next article to be written will be on a java version of the Enigma machine I wrote. Then I shall write up a maze generator and solver which Stephen Wattam and myself built for the Computing Society.
Well, as everyone who has a blog is aware, its hard to actually find anything to put in it, never mind actually remembering to write it.
Ok, so personal stuff. Started my studentship at Lancaster University within the EIS(http://eis.comp.lancs.ac.uk) research group. Still unsure of an actual topic, although I will probably swing towards the algorithmic side of localisation in WSN.
Still, I rarely have time to do any personal code, yet some stuff happens. Recently wrote a basic heightmap generator in Ruby, currently porting to Lua, and it outputs some nice images using image tools like RMagick or just plain VT100 colour output.
Post to follow explaining the code.
NSTA has progressed to a fully fledged prototype. It now outputs the node position and the connections in the logical graph. Shall do some message browsing and a quick propogation algorithm and release it for you viewing displeasure!
Francois, Hugo and myself have almost finished writing the paper summing up our work on PAMPA for the last 2 years. We shall be submitting to the International Workshop on Middleware for Pervasive, Mobile and Embedded Computing, at Middleware 2009 in Illinois, USA.
I have also been working on making my NS-2 trace anaylser package ready to be released and making a small example program to use. Hopefully shall be released soon. Shall open it and SourceForge it once it is ready.
I am now an officially funded Ph.D student soon to be studying Localisation of mobile nodes in Wireless Sensor Networks.
I will now eat cake.
Ok, so my degree results are in and I passed with first class honours. Sweet.
Now just to wait for my Ph.D funding. Hopefully today or tomorrow.
I am currently working on a C/Lua agent based AI simulation and will soon br poking around with my colleagues game engine to give it physics.
Will post interesting stuff.
Well, it has been a while.
I have been working on a paper of my cumulative work from the past 2 years to submit to IEEE LCN 2009 …. however the paper deadline was today. I had an exam, and so time was spent revising.
I decided to pull the paper and look to submit for MobiCom09. This should give me some time to get some more data and show better trends.
Plus any edit time is good time.
So! Exams. Concurrency and Operating Systems today. I think it went ok. Questions I answered were on User/Kernel threads, implementing fork() from first principles, some mutual exclusion questions, spin locks over semaphores and such for the lower level concurrency section.
Discussion piece for System calls, device drivers and then some file system questions and Amdahls Law stuff.
All in all it was a rather decent exam.
Right. Personal stuff.
New house, with FLATMATES. Makes such a difference not coming home to an empty cold flat everyday. There are challengers for Xbox supremacy. I like living here.
Stuck in exam period however, with exams Wednesday and Friday and the following Monday. Cram time.
Ok, so you need to send certain keyboard events to an element to properly test a webpage, but stuck how to do it?
Ive looked at some tutorials on the web, but there doesn’t seem a simple solution.
However, I have been experimenting, and this method seems to work fine.
# First off create your Watir::IE object
ie = Watir::IE.new
# Then navigate to the page you are testing
# Grab the descriptor of the element you wish to send a keyboard command to
# (for example, a text field)
element = ie.textField(:id, "myText")
# Now, I found that keyboard events only work if the Watir::IE window is on top and has
# focus, so for example if we wish to send a "Pageup" keyboard command to the element
# "myText" we would do so by
Well the talk in Glasgow went great, and I managed to receive a grant to visit the university of lisbon for a week in the summer to continue my research.
I managed to find some interesting results and managed to create a small java application to view my results visually.
It came out quite nice, and as such I have plenty of interesting avenues of new research for next year, including a new radio propagation method that takes into account buildings. It would help urban scenarios imensely.
Well I’ve just been told I have to give a 15 min presentation on my research at this years MiNeMa workshop in Glasgow. Thats fine but as I’m only in my second year … I think my hair may fall out.
I will be giving a presentation on a modified broadcast algorithm for use in Mobile Adhoc Networks.
Hope every one enjoys it!
Also, John Hardy, Steve Wattam and myself quickly prototyped a Trilateration program for use with bluetooth devices. If any one is interested in the code, or on a more robust implementation, please contact me.